Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mom Tip Monday: Tired of the Same Old Valentine's?


When my sister and I were growing up my mom would always help us make our own Valentine's to give out every year. Ours were always huge hits because they were personal and they weren't the same four cartoon characters that everyone else was giving out. But even more important than being original was the quality time we got to spend with Mom while we made them.

This past Saturday Mo and I took the day and worked on her Valentine's for school Friday. I can't think of anything we have done together in recent days that has been more fun! My friend Weiner (obviously not her real name!) passed this one on to me from a site she found - http://www.allfreecrafts.com/ Our mice are a little fatter than the ones you'll see there because we used Blow Pops instead of flat sugar pops.

Lollipop Mice

CRAFT MATERIALS:
Red construction paper
Pink construction paper
Scissors
Glue
Marker
Lollipops
Time needed: Under 1 Hour

1. Cut a heart shape from red construction paper (it should measure about five inches at the widest point).

2. Fold the heart in half to form the mouse's body, then glue together the edges from the tip of the nose to the top of the back, but leave the tail end open.

3. For ears, cut out a pair of small pink paper hearts, fold them in half, and then glue them onto the body. Draw on eyes with a colored marker.

4. Lastly, tuck a lollipop into the body, so that the stick becomes the mouse's tail.

Ours took us a little longer than just an hour because Mo was addressing them as we went and we had to allow a little extra time for drying between steps (she likes her glue!). AND we had 21 to make! There are 21 mice on my dining room table! How often can a mom say that without screaming or feeling a strong urge to yack?

Photobucket

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Very cute!! Seeing that combined with just turning in Livi's preK registration is making me feel like a heel for the box of Valentines sitting up the cabinet. Now I want to make some with her. But I don't think I'll have time. I'll just have to settle for sitting with her and watching her try to write her name on all of them =)

Anonymous said...

those turned out really cute. I'm glad you 2 had lots of fun making them. I wish I had found that site when my kids were little and we could have had fun making them together. What a great memory.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.