Thursday, November 13, 2008

Party Time! MomDot Day 2!


Can I just tell you how much fun I had yesterday? I added several people to my reader and I saw some really awesome pages! If you aren't popping around reading at least a few of the other participants in the MomDot Blog Party you are really missing out on meeting some wonderful and creative people!



Our question for Day 2 is brought to you by:



And the question is:

Traditions, what are some of your favorite family traditions? What are some traditions you want to begin?

I love traditions. We have a few here at the Zoo and I am certain we will add more as the years pass. Some of my favorite Zoo traditions center on Christmas.

Christmas pajamas – You all got to see these yesterday in our family picture. My mother always makes the kids pj’s to wear on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately for me this is the last year that the three may be able to have matching pj’s. Tuck and Mo are getting a little older and will probably start to move to more “grown up” jammies.


The Cookie Bake – The weekend after Thanksgiving all dieters move away from my house. I will spend all of November storing up baking supplies little by little. Then the Saturday after Thanksgiving I go nuts. I bake all day long. Chocolate Chips, Peanut Butter, Peanut Butter Blossoms, Oatmeal Raisin, Oatmeal Scotchies, Chocolate Covered Pretzels, homemade Chocolate Covered Cherries, Double Delicious Bars, Oreo Truffles, and more that I would list if I was less fearful of keyboards across the blogosphere shorting out.

Then on Sunday the plating begins. We make trays for the fire houses and Daddy’s office and smaller bags for our mail lady and any other public servants the kids choose. Then we go as a family and deliver them. I may be off a little but I almost think the kids look forward to this more than they do to the presents.

The Magic Seed – This is by far my favorite!! Since we moved into our house three years ago, we have had a real tree. Daddy picks it out himself and brings it home from work the second week of December. Then we bring the tree stand up from the garage and let the kids “plant” the Magic Seed. It is actually a pistachio nut that one puts in the tree stand and the other waters. Then I put them in the tub.

While they are busy playing in the tub, Stephen and I set the tree up in the tree stand. Then while I do baths and jammies, Daddy puts on the lights. It is the highlight of the holiday season to watch their faces as they lay eyes on the tree for the first time.

That is just a few of the Christmas traditions here at Zoo Suburbia. I am tingly with anticipation that they are approaching quickly for this year again!
Want to pick up some more holiday traditions for your family? Pop over to MomDot and visit some of the other participants who will be sharing their traditions too! Make sure you share a little comment love - it's our version of chocolate (when we can't get our hands on the real stuff)!
Photobucket

25 comments:

CompleteLee Blogger said...

Totally cute idea--the magic seed! Very clever!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love that magic seed! That is great!! We also do the pajamas. The kids love looking forward to new pjs. Great ideas!

Jen
http://www.100DaystoChristmas.com

Anonymous said...

If I read this to my husband he'd make a snarky comment about him having a magic seed lmao...Here's My Day 2! I put Mr. Linky in there, too, so leave your link!

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

I love the Christmas PJ's!

Trish said...

I love the idea of the magic seed!

Anonymous said...

The Magic Seed is way cool. It almost makes me want to have a real tree. =)

Shasta said...

I love the idea of a cookie bake and the magic seed thing is just too cute!!

Staci A said...

The magic seed idea is so fun! I'm sure their faces are priceless when they see the tree.

We spend the Saturday after Thanksgiving baking too. Chocolate covered pretzels are my fave, but everything on your list sounds yummy!

Unknown said...

I try and do matching PJs as well. I don't know about this year. I have to find four pairs!

Tena said...

would love the recips for Oreo truffles

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

I've never heard of the magic seed before. What a creative and neat idea. By the way, I say your comment about the candlelight services. My deepest sympathy on your blacklisting, but really, do you blame them?? LOL

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

All this typing is cramping my fingers. Obviously I meant to say "saw" your comment. Duh.

Stephanie @ Ralphcrew said...

Oh dear! The magic seed is priceless! Thanks for sharing.

Momstart said...

i love making cookies

hippos toes said...

I love to bake like crazy before Christmas. That just says Christmas to me, all those sweet treats :).

Melissa said...

Aw, that must be the sweetest Christmas tradition I've read so far!

Natalie said...

I LOVE the magic seed idea!

Leah said...

I love the magic seed idea! We have a fake tree but if we ever were to get a real one I would totally do something like that!!

Unknown said...

The Magic Seed sounds awesome!

There's no way we could do it, though. The kids would wonder what hubs was yelling about!

Jenni said...

How cute is your magic seed???? I love that!

Princess Hairstyles said...

We do the matching pj's thing too. It makes the pictures the next morning so cute!

Ragmansdaughter said...

So, are you going to tell hubby that his "magic seed" is the talk of the blogosphere? Or just let him find out he is a star all on his own?

Caitlin said...

Um, can I come visit after Thanksgiving? Yum! We used to take cookies to fire fighters (my little bro was obcessed!).

Amanda said...

Awww, the magic seed idea is so cool! We have an artificial tree because we're allergic to real ones, so our kids know the tree is in the basement LOL.

Rita @ My Precious Pennies said...

The magic seed is so cute! We might just have to borrow it when the baby gets old enough