Friday, November 14, 2008

As if You Didn't Think I was Strange Enough...


Let me just go ahead and show you just HOW off the beaten path I am! It's Day 3 of the Mom Dot Blog Party (just in case you missed that big #3 over there <) and I am still rockin! This has been a lot of fun! I have found some really great ladies out there who make me look a little more normal - until I get done posting today.
Sponsors: Day Three Blog Party Question is Brought to you by Appledonia, Hippos Toes and My Bag
And the Question of the day?
Have you started your Christmas shopping yet? Do you budget for the holidays? Do you always stick to your budget? Share with us any budgeting tips you may have!
Newsflash campers. There are probably very few things on the planet that I despise more than shopping. And not Christmas shopping – I mean shopping in general. I cringe as I go through the grocery store. I grind my teeth anytime Beloved even looks at my closet with the “you need some clothes” face. I become physically ill if I have no choice but to go to the mall. I. Hate. Shopping.

That being said. When I am approaching Christmas shopping I am methodical. I am precise and I am on a mission. I make a list of who I am buying for, what I am buying and where I have to go to get it. I plan out the order of the stores and I may even go so far as to go online and see if they have a store map so I know where in the store I have to go. Then I take one day and I go. I do it all at once (even trying to get the stocking stuffers in there too) and I come home.

Newsflash part two. I am cheap. I will do anything I can to stretch a dollar so if I can make a bathrobe at home for less than I could buy it I will invest the time before I will go buy it. Why? Because that’s how much I hate shopping. I would rather crouch over a sewing machine for three hours and tear out seams twice than go shopping. That being said, I can stay pretty close to our budget. We set a ball park and if I go over it is usually for Daddy before it is for the children. They get plenty from the extended family so we usually only do a few toys and some clothes from us.

As I write this I am wondering if Part Two could be a contributing factor to Part One. Or could it be that those five years of retail right out of college sapped me of all my retail strength?
(I know baby! I try to hide from it too!)
But that's just my take on it! I'm certainly not the expert so why don't you go see what the other Party Animals have to say about it. MomDot is your Party Headquarters!
Photobucket

19 comments:

Staci A said...

I'm with you, I hate shopping. I'm doing almost all of it on-line this year, so I don't have to step foot in a store more than I absolutely have to.

Anonymous said...

OMG I LOVE you! I just subscribed to your RSS :)

QAMom said...

I LOVE to shop, not so much the buying stuff part, but looking for bargins, looking at what the stores have. It drives my husband nuts! It's in my blood, Christmas shopping was always a holiday tradition growing up. As a family we went to a neighboring city and hit the malls.

Caroline

Shasta said...

You sound SO much like my MIL. She is the exact same way, she hates shopping and when she does have to go she gets in and gets out with what she needs to get!

I'm completely the opposite, I could shop all day, every day!

Caitlin said...

Oh my, you are too funny! I'll have to be sure to stop back by for your other posts.

Tena said...

Classic post!
I don;t mind shopping, ubless it's grocery shopping... hate this!
Cute picture

Anonymous said...

I don't mind shopping for other people, I just don't want to shop for myself. And I love grocery shopping because that's my time to myself. Sad. =) As for hand-made stuff... I think it's more thoughful and personal that way anyway.

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

As much as you hate it, you sure are organized about it. Thanks for the super sweet comment on my blog. I've actually been stalking, I mean reading, you for a while. And yep, we are a lot alike. Oh, expect for that sewing thing. EVERYONE would rather I bought then sewed.

Proud Mommy said...

Cute picture.....If you lived close to me, I would do your shopping for you. I like a good deal too!!!

FreeStyleMama - Diana said...

I am not a huge fan of shopping, but I will do so without complaint.

Check out the new Family FotoFun Friday feature on my blog!

Anonymous said...

You are so not alone!!! I'm cheap and I despise shopping!!! I try to do as much online as possible.

~Michelle~ said...

I love how organized you are at shopping and I am LOL @ you going online to get a store map. I'm usually like a mad hatter, running through the stores picking up whatever I can think of. I hate, hate, hate shopping!

Bridget said...

That picture is so flippin cute! Goes great with the post!

Anonymous said...

You HATE shopping! THE HORROR!! I love to shop. You can hire me to be your personal shopper LOL! I love to do it I am just to busy to start my Christmas shopping at the moment!

Sandy said...

I have grown to hate shopping too. People are rude and with 5 kids who has time for it. I would much rather sit at my desk and shop online where I can get in and get out fast.

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

LOL My husband would love you. I've always been huge on shopping, just as long as it's not for myself. I would bet anything my closet is emptier than yours lol

Unknown said...

i'm not all that crazy about it anymore, either!

Amanda said...

I'll make it before I'll buy it too if I can. Not so much because I despise shopping. it's not fun, but I don't mind it except from now until January. I think it's cool to give things I made rather than just went out and bought. That way you know it's one of a kind. It's not being cheap, it's being thoughtful LOL.

Momstart said...

I'm on-line too, using ebates to get some money back

I love that picture, I esp like the cheerios in the floor