Monday, November 17, 2008

Who's hungry?


Here it is! Day 4 of the MomDot Blog Party! I took the weekend off to rest my fingers and get my commenting thoughts straight so you guys better bring me some good ones today! I also got out my recipe box so I can rob pillage and plunder today as I run around Bloggy Land. But more about that later.

Sponsors: Day Four Blog Party Question is Brought to you by Bottlewise and Glow Mama
VIP BLOGS to visit are Parent Reviewers , Mom Most Traveled, Mommy Zabs, MomStart, HipposToes, Run DMT

Today's question was a tough one for me.

What is your favorite Holiday recipe? Describe your Holiday table and tell us about your biggest holiday cooking disaster.
This theme takes some real pondering for me. A favorite holiday recipe. Since I cook year round as a hobby I am struggling to find something that I cook only for the holidays.

Turkey? I do roasted chickens for dinners so that is a pretty standard. Cranberries? They are seasonal but there is really no recipe there. Mashed potatoes? Baked Sweet Potatoes? Pies? Green Bean Casserole? All of those are pretty traditional. I am a person who loads up the stuffing with a lot of extras (sausage, mushrooms, celery, onion) but there is no recipe for that either because it is one of my “smell it” recipes.

I would share my Chocolate Chip recipe but a cook with a trademark product never gives away the crown jewel. But on the dessert line there is one thing that I will share - mainly in the hope that someone else will claim it and make them so that I am never called on again. Chocolate Covered Cherries! You know those wonderful Queen Anne delights that you see in the red boxes? Oh yes! I love them! But last year I made them for the first time for a Christmas Eve party and have been saddled with them since. So here they are for anyone who would like to take them off of my To Do list.

Chocolate Covered Cherries
1/3 cup butter, softened

2 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons cherry liqueur
2 (10-ounce) jars maraschino cherries with stems, drained
1 (8-ounce) package semisweet chocolate squares
1 tablespoon shortening

Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add powdered sugar, beating well. Add milk and liqueur, beating until blended. Shape sugar mixture around cherries, coating completely, and place on wax paper.

Microwave chocolate squares and shortening in a 2-cup glass measuring cup at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until melted, stirring twice. Dip coated cherries by stems into chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip; place on wax paper. Let stand until firm. Store loosely covered in a cool place 1 week or until centers soften.

I have been very fortunate to have avoided disasters (unless you count the time Mom was cooking for me at my house and couldn’t figure out how to turn my oven on). On the other hand, if anyone has a good gravy system to share I could use it. The Lion is a little weary of asking for two lumps on his potatoes.

Good luck! And happy kitchen clean up!

Photobucket

15 comments:

MMJ said...

Bleh...chocolate covered cherries are not for me...though they are pretty! Thanks for sharing and happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I love, love, love chocolate covered cherries, but I don't think I'll be making any. I am quite content with buying a box =) As for the gravy, I was going to get my mom's technique from her this weekend for my pot roast, but ended up going without. I know that she takes some of the broth and the dry ingredients and shakes them up in a covered container and then adds that to the rest of the broth. Less lumps that way.

Erin Tales said...

I love chocolate covered cherries! Thank you for sharing!

Cat@3KidsandUs said...

yumm chocolate covered cherries are so good.

Melissa, Multi-Tasking Mama said...

Okay, today is really making me hungry! And I love your holiday'd header!

Melissa said...

The cherries are pretty and I'm sure DH would LOVE them... but they really look like too much trouble. I only say that, because I wouldn't eat them. LOL

Michelle@lifeinawhirlwind said...

Crafty and a good cook? Girl you are putting me to shame.

Tena said...

can I come to your house this holiday for dinner?
Ü

Natalie said...

What a day to forget my lunch....now I am STARVING

Staci A said...

Chocolate covered cherries sound so good.

And around here, it's the potatoes with lumps. Oh who am I kidding? It's the gravy and potatoes.

Anonymous said...

Those make me wanna kiss your face. Is that weird? Here's My Day 4!

SavvySuzie said...

Yummy chocolate covered cherries! I do chocolate covered strawberries once in a while, I just wish they weren't so much work!

Unknown said...

my mom would love this recipe!

Momstart said...

the chocolate looks so good. Yummy

Amanda said...

Sorry, you can keep the cherries. I use cornstarch for my gravy instead of flour. I've found every cook has their achille's heel though. Mine is rice. it's either soggy or burnt, but I can make an awesome pie crust from scratch. Go figure.