Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What is a Tannenbaum anyway?

So I think with this post I am back up to date with posting. The Comp Crash of 08 as we are referring to it (more child friendly than the blue streak I was emitting yesterday) put me behind the ball. So now to just catch up with all of the other participants and let you know what I think and it's party BACK ON!! Woo Hoo!

On the way home from church on Sunday I saw someone with a Christmas tree on top of their car. No kidding! Before December even gets here? I so don't want to vacuum that house on the 15th! I'll give you 3 guesses what we're talking about today!
Sponsors: Day Ten Blog Party Question is Brought to you by Organic Blankees, Huddy Buddy, and Baby Legs.
VIP BLOGS to visit are Parent Reviewers , Mom Most Traveled, Mommy Zabs, MomStart, HipposToes, Run DMT

Drum roll please.....And the query of the day is....
Do you decorate for the Holidays? Do you have a themed Christmas tree? Share pics! Do you think there is such a thing as OVER decorating?
Do we decorate? Does the Zoo decorate? Really? We sure do! Are we over the top? Not by a long shot!
But we do have rules. No decorations before Thanksgiving. In my book Thanksgiving is very important and I would say that this year it is even more important than in years past. Soap box moment – make sure you take time to be thankful before you move on to Christmas.
We usually have some kind of theme to our tree – not really by choice. The Lion inherited all my decorations when we got married so he got a snowman, snowflake tree by default. Four years later we finally moved on. Poor guy. He sure is tolerant! Last year we did an old fashioned tree. The exhibits and I made homemade ornaments out of baking soda clay and cinnaclay and I painted them up. We dried oranges, grapefruits and apples and even went so far as to attempt stringing popcorn and cranberries. Not as easy and delightful an experience as one would have hoped. It was Lion’s favorite by far so there will be a repeat of it this year. The great thing is that it won’t be exactly the same because all the fruit starts new. And of course Auntie B added more to our Hallmark collection as well!

Is there such a thing as over decorating? Oh my YES!! I had the perfect picture for you to illustrate but since the Comp Crash of 08 I can't scan it in. Let's just say that mini Santas, mini snowflakes, candy canes (all by the dozens!), two Nativities, three sleighs with reindeer and about seven different versions of Santa grace the front of a singlewide trailer. And that happens every year and gets bigger every year. Did I mention that the folks across the street from this particular house used to try to compete? Yeah it was a landing strip heading into our little country town in PA!

We try to keep it simple. White lights in all decorations. Two simple wreaths over the garage and one above the fireplace. Daddy’s Japanese maple landing beacon (800+ lights on a 3 foot tree) in the front yard. Garland on the banister railings and mantle with stockings. And the tree. Not a lot of special candles or centerpieces. No huge yard art displays complete with inflatables. Just a simple decorating philosophy.
Need some more decorating ideas? Head over to MomDot and see what the rest of the crew is up to. Think you can top theirs?

Photobucket

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we're putting lights on the house for the first time this year. I have a tree and normally that's the extent of my decorations...

We had a (way too rich) family here in Little Rock who used to decorate their extensive estate in RED lights. Millions of RED lights. You could see the red haze for literally miles and miles. It always looked like the gates of hell to me =) Their neighbors took them to court to force them to remove most of their lights because it would cause so much traffic that they were trapped in their homes.

Melissa said...

Oh I really like the idea of your Old Fashioned Christmas tree! BUT to string popcorn... it is much harder than it sounds. It does help if the popcorn is a little stale.

Tena said...

you and I have the same rule about decorations. I need to take one holiday at a time and I don't want them meshing into one another!
Just like our tree comes down the day after Christmas!!

Staci A said...

Your tree looks so pretty, and we never decorate before Thanksgiving either. We used to go to this house that really overdid it every year, a Christmas ferris wheel and all in their front yard. Crazy!

savvysuzie said...

Hahaha...I think I know a few neighbors with Griswold displays like that...but DUELING Griswolds? That's pretty nuts :)

Unknown said...

Really pretty tree!

Momstart said...

I am thankful this year

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Pretty tree!

Crunchy Green Mom - Suzanne said...

I LOVE houses decorated up for the holidays. I don't do the outdoor thing, and I wish I did. Perhaps next year.