Saturday, February 28, 2009

How to Tell You're a Grown Up by The Orangutan

It was feeding time at the Zoo Thursday night and the small exhibits were gathered around their corn dogs chomping away with glee. Lion and I were discussing whether we should have egg noodles or rice under our beef tips. It was a pleasant little Cleaver scene when Rhino decided he was done.
He got up from the table, pooched his belly out as big as he could get it and said, "See Mom! I'm all full."
Before I could say a word Orangutan jumped in. "Rhino, if your belly is getting that big it must mean you are getting to be a grown up because grown ups have big bellies. Well, Daddy grown ups do but Mommy grown ups don't. The have straight down flat bellies."
Lion and I just looked at each other and started to laugh but I composed myself and I asked the inevitable question, "Orangutan, why? Why are grown up Daddy bellies big and Mommy bellies flat?"
"That's easy Mom! Because Daddys eat a lot and lot of food and just sit and Mommys don't eat very much at all."

They don't? Why don't mommys eat?
"Because they are too busy working and feeding everybody and taking care of everybody and being bossed around. They don't get to eat breakfast or lunch and they only get to eat dinner if the kids are done eating and will leave them alone."
She's going to be a great mom. With a flat belly.

Must be a Daddy Tang!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

He he. Reminds me of the day Olivia said, "Daddy, can I have some cookies so I can be fat like you?"

Anonymous said...

I love a good giggle before 9am! that's funny!

Anonymous said...

If only that was true for me. It was a good laugh though!

Upstatemamma said...

Oh my goodness!! That is too funny!

Unknown said...

I don't appreciate you posting my picture without permission.

I'm 8 months pregnant for goodness' sake! Give me a break!

;)